What happens if a custodial parent dies?

What to do to set up guardianship

· Divorce Coaching,Guardianship

If a parent with sole legal and physical custody of a child passes away, the issue of child custody will typically be addressed in accordance with the legal system and any relevant documentation, such as a will or guardianship designation made by the deceased parent. The absentee parent (the non-custodial parent) may or may not automatically gain custody.

Here are some common scenarios:

  • Guardianship Designation: If the deceased parent has appointed a guardian for the child in their will or through a legal guardianship document, then that designated guardian will likely assume custody of the child.
  • Non-Custodial Parent: In the absence of a guardianship designation or other legal arrangements, the non-custodial parent may be considered for custody. However, this will depend on various factors, including the best interests of the child and the non-custodial parent's ability to provide a stable and safe environment. Courts will assess the situation and make a determination based on what is in the child's best interests.
  • Extended Family Members: If neither the non-custodial parent nor a designated guardian is deemed suitable for custody, the court may consider other family members, such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, or close relatives, who are willing and able to provide care for the child.

It's important to note that child custody decisions are made by the court, and the primary consideration is the well-being and best interests of the child. The court will take into account various factors, including the child's age, relationship with both parents, the stability of the potential custodian's home, and the child's preferences if they are old enough to express them.

Ultimately, the outcome may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the laws of the jurisdiction where the custody matter is being decided. To ensure that the child's best interests are protected, it's advisable to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law to navigate the legal process effectively.

Full Legal Custody

If you have full legal custody, then you can set up a will that designates guardianship of the children without the input of your ex. Consult a qualified attorney. Some parents don't want their children to go to their ex who may be abusive or an addict. In those cases, the court may have awarded full legal custody of the children to one parent. When this happens, that parent could set up a Will that grants guardianship to another adult. Often, these arrangements have to be updated annually or semi-annually to make sure they are still valid. But this can be an effective way to protect the children in the case of the legal parent's death.